Title IV-E

                        The Title IV-E Education for Child Welfare Program



What is the Title IV-E Program?

The program is a collaboration between the University of Maryland School of Social Work and the Maryland Department of Human Resources. Its purpose is to prepare Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) and Master of Social Work (MSW) students for public child welfare practice.

Who is eligible to participate in the program?

All full time BSW and MSW students who are entering or continuing their field placements as part of their social work education and who meet the criteria for selection are eligible.

What are the criteria for selection?

  • Student expresses a specific and genuine interest in social work practice in a child welfare setting.
  • Student agrees to accept a field placement within a local department of social services.
  • Student agrees to accept employment in child welfare with the Department of Human Resources (at a local department of social services in Maryland) after graduation for a period of time equal to one year for each year spent in a financially supported field placement.
  • Student must have a 3.0 GPA to be considered for selection.
  • Student must apply to an MSW Program

What does the Title IV-E Program provide for the student?

  • A financial stipend is provided for each student selected for the program.  The student pays his/her tuition and fees from the stipend.
  • A child welfare field placement is offered in a local department of social services with either a faculty field instructor or an agency based field instructor. Students who meet the criteria will provide services to children and families through public child welfare programs including: Family Preservation, Out of Home Placement, Child Protective Services, and Adoption.
  • Additional training is provided which is specifically designed to enhance skills in areas related to child welfare practice.  Examples include Legal and Clinical Issues in Child Abuse and Neglect, Motivational Interviewing, Addictions, Working with Involuntary Clients, Parenting Skills, and  other skill- based workshops.
  • Students will be assisted in applying for state employment at a local department of social services after graduation.

Where are the Title IV-E Field Placements located?

The majority of the students who are new to the IV-E program will be placed in student units in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Anne Arundel County, or Prince George’s County. Students have also been placed (with agency based field instructors) in counties on the eastern shore and in western Maryland depending on their places of residence. There is strong preference given to new students who are able to be placed in a student unit in one of the four above named counties. All Title IV-E student units have Tuesday/Thursday placements.

What if I decide that Child Welfare is not the field in which I want to practice after graduation?

Students who decide not to accept employment in child welfare in Maryland after graduation are required to pay back the total of their stipends within 90 days of graduation. If for any reason the student must leave the state or cannot accept employment, then the student is obligated to pay back the full amount of the stipend.

If I plan to go to graduate school after college, can I defer my employment obligation?

Yes, you may request deferment of your employment obligation as long as you are attending a fulltime MSW program in Maryland. You are also eligible to apply for the Title IV-E program again at the UMB School of Social Work. You will be required to work in Child Welfare in Maryland for one year for each year you participated in the program.

When can I apply for the Title IV-E Program?

You can apply for the program at the same time you apply for a field placement in your junior year of college or after you have been accepted into the graduate program at the University of Maryland. The application form is available on the UMB and UMBC Social Work web sites.

What is the application process?

The process will include a pre-application presentation by Title IV-E staff for all interested students at UMB, UMBC, and at the Shady Grove Campus.  Students should indicate that they will be applying for the IV-E program on their field application, fill out the application form, and complete their application essay.  The application and essay should be submitted along with their application for a field placement. In the Spring, the students will be notified of their eligibility for the program, will be interviewed by IV-E staff and offered several times to attend an orientation session. If the student attends a session and accepts the conditions for participating in the program, then (s)he will be referred to a local department of social services for an interview. After the interview, both the student and individual field instructor will decide whether the placement is a good fit.

What if I still have questions?

Please call or e-mail Chris Wirt of the Title IV-E Program (410-706-2236) cwirt@ssw.umaryland.edu) or call the UMBC Field Office (410-455-2008) .