Phi Alpha Honor Society is welcoming new students to join the honor society. Our mission as stated in the National Honor Society brochure is to “provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals.” We hope that you will get involved with the chapter and take advantage of the opportunities your membership affords you to learn, grow and make a difference.
Students are eligible to join if they meet the following membership criteria:
- have declared social work as major
- have achieved sophomore status
- have completed nine semester hours of required social work courses
- have achieved an overall grade point average of 3.0 out of possible 4.0; and
- have achieved a 3.50 grade point average in required or elective social work courses.
2018 Phi Alpha Application
History of Phi Alpha
Phi Alpha was established in 1962. The purposes of the Honor Society, as stated in its brochure, are to “provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals.” Further, Phi Alpha “fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.” At present, there are 62 chapters of the Honor Society in schools around the country, including the established chapter here at U.M.B.C.
Presidents:, (Main Campus), (USG)
Vice Presidents: (Main Campus), (USG)
Treasurers: (Main Campus), (USG)